What to expect when getting an Orencia Infusion.


I didn't get picture last time I went to get an infusion. Last time I got the rituxan infusion, we were in a room with the kemo treatments. Now they have the RA and Kemo treatments separated. I was in a long room with two seats and doctor table. It was the kind of chair like what they have when getting blood drawn. This may not sound as nice as the lazy boy chair I described with the rituxan, but I liked this one more as I could get in and out of the chair. There was one nurse to watch us. I was the only one in the room at the time, but towards the end of the infusion another person came in to start their treatment.

The rheumatologist came in and cleared me for the infusion. They wanted to make sure there was no unnecessary health risks and that I was healthy enough to start the infusion. They really like you to bring all your medications, but I had left mine on the table at home. After we went over the medicine and got our clearance from the doctor, the nurse mixed up the medicine.

The nurse then place an IV into my right arm. Thank Heavens that she was such a good nurse because I'm a hard stick. I sure hope I keep getting this nurse because she was able to get the IV on one try and I didn't really feel it at all. She then drew blood to send down to the lab from the IV and then started the treatment. The treatment took about a half hour.

The nurse watched me for a few minutes after the treatment, they only do that on the first treatment to make sure no allergic reaction happen. Then I was off on my way home. I really didn't feel any difference at all. So by January should be my fifth treatment, and when we start to go once a month, hopefully I should then see the results of the Orencia.

In the mean time I have signed up for the Orencia co-pay program. This program allows me to use my insurance and only pay $5 for the Orencia medicine. The IV itself is an extra charge. So hopefully they will have me approved for that before the next treatment on November 12th.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renewing

Broken bones with RA

Feets, Foots, and Toesy